Where did the name come from?
Marines’ origins and how it got its name are unclear. The name could come either from the Roman name Marius
, or marinae meaning swamps or marshland. According to the most plausible hypothesis, the land was assigned during the Roman occupation to a man named Marius (perhaps a veteran of Centurion Roman Legions?). The name of the field of Marius
might then over time become confused with marinae
meaning Marsh or Wetlands.
In the late fourteenth century, sailors on the Seine and Oise would call at Andrésy, at the confluence of the two rivers. Because of links between the domains of Marines and Andrésy, over time the two names would become blurred. The sailing connection the origin of the boat on the town’s crest, which was officially given to the municipality of Marines in 1803.
Kington has been twinned with Marines since1979. Both towns have a Twinning Committee which works to foster cultural links and friendship between the two towns. To visit Marines’ website click www.marines.fr/
Marines Twinning Committee Chairman is M Christian Holod
Kington’s Twinning Association’s Chairman is Karen Bennett 07984 395631